All 50 U.S states produce wine to some extent, but approximately 95 percent of it comes from just four of them. California produces most of the US wine, producing nearly five times more than the combined total of  Washington, Oregon and New York. The remaining 5 percent of wines are produced in other states, such as Texas and Virginia, where production is mostly for local consumption rather than national or international markets.

The United States is comprised of American Viticultural Areas (AVAs) that are geographical grape-growing areas established and controlled by the Alcohol and Tobacco, Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB).  In order for a wine to use an appellation on its label, at least 85 percent of the grapes used to make the wine must have been grown in the specified district.

Regional identity is denoted by the country’s more than 200 officially demarcated AVAs. Although these are similar to European-style appellations, AVA titles are less restrictive, and indicate only the region of origin for the grapes.

AVAs vary in size from one quarter of a square mile to almost 30,000 square miles (77,700 square kilometers).

More than half of the US AVAs are located in California.

AVAs as Defined by the Alcohol & Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau

Arizona

Sonoita

Arkansas

Altus

Arkansas Mountains

Ozark Mountain

California

California is the largest wine region in the U.S. with more than 130 AVAs spanning the state from North to South. With more than 200 years of grape growing history, dating back to the 18th century, European settlers and missionaries brought wine producing grapes to California. But it wasn't until the 1970's that the wines gained international recognition. Since then, there has been massive growth of wine production through out the state.  California produces more than 90% of American wines.

Colorado

Grand Valley

West Elks

Connecticut

Southeastern New England

Western Connecticut Highlands

Georgia

Upper Hiwassee Highlands

Idaho

Snake River Valley

Illinois

Shawnee Hills

Upper Mississippi River Valley

Indiana

Indiana Uplands

Ohio River Valley

Iowa

Upper Mississippi River Valley

Kentucky

Ohio River Valley

Louisiana

Mississippi Delta

Maryland

Catoctin

Cumberland Valley

Linganore

Massachusetts

Martha's Vineyards

Southeastern New England

Michigan

Fernville

Lake Michigan Shore

Lelanau Pennisula

Old Mission Peninsula

Minnesota

Alexandria Lakes

Upper Mississippi River Valley

Mississippi

Mississippi Delta

Missouri

Augusta

Hermann

Ozark Highlands

Ozark Mountain

New Jersey

Central Delaware Valley

Outer Coastal Plain

Warren Hills

New Mexico

Mesilla Valley

Middle Rio Grande Valley

Mimbres Valley

New York

New York is home to the oldest winery in the U.S., dating back to 1839.  Prohibition in the U.S. from 1919 to 1933 nearly eliminated New York's wine producers. In 1975 there were only 19 remaining wineries; the wine industry was nearly gone.  But in a strong revival, the state has grown to currently having more than 400 wineries, along with 9 AVAs.

North Carolina

Appalachian High Country

Haw River Valley

Swan Creek

Upper Hiwassee Highlands

Yadkin Valley

Ohio

Grand River Valley

Isle St. George

Lake Erie

Loramie Creek

Ohio River Valley

Oklahoma

Ozark Mountain

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Central Delaware Valley

Cumberland Valley

Lake Erie

Lancaster Valley

Lehigh Valley

Rhode Island

Southeastern New England

Texas

Bell Mountain

Escondido Valley

Fredericksburg in the Texas Hill Country

Mesilla Valley

Texas Davis Mountains

Texas High Plains

Texas Hill Country

Texoma

Virginia

Washington State

West Virginia

Kabawha River Valley

Ohio River Valley

Shenandoah Valley

Wisconsin

Lake Wisconsin

Upper Mississippi River Valley

Wisconsin Ledge